Thursday, February 10, 2011

Split Brain

Research is something I'm very good at, almost to the point of obsession.  Right now I'm scouring writer's blogs for precious insights on how they got their start.  What I surmised pretty quickly is that writing is only a part of this business.  You have to spend a fair amount of time doing self-promotion.  After all, if no one actually sees your writing they're certainly not likely to be paying you for it, are they?  Here's my thinking....I have limited time available until I leave my "day job" (end of June), so with the precious little time I have, it's a chicken and egg situation.  Do I focus on writing, amassing a library of quality drafts, or do I work on my "platform" (blog, website, Facebook, Twitter, etc)?  I find doing both simultaneously is disruptive to both creative processes.  Something I'm pondering on a Thursday morning as I ease into my workday....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Ready to Self-Publish

A couple of months ago, I finished the novel that I started in 2011 or so. I did so with mixed feelings - pride that I'd blown the dust ...